With the advent of technology in our lifestyle, the digital transformation has swept through the educational sector as well providing with innovative solutions for ensuring better and accurate outcomes. Moving forward into the 21st century; universities, schools, colleges and all institutions are implementing the usage of technology in all kinds of areas easing up simple mundane tasks such as researching for essays and struggling with dissertation proposal help in general. Students do not have to rush to the library and skim through a plethora of books to find a single reference and can instead come across a number of references on the internet. Technology is everywhere from our homes to our schools to our offices.
Digital Exams the new norm?
From the last decade, many universities have been employing the method of “Digital Exams” to ensure efficiency in their overall education and grading system. From initial trial based digital examinations conducted around a decade ago at Manchester University, it was concluded that teachers were able to mark exams at a quarter of the time they had to utilize in marking exams manually on paper which provided them with more time and energy to give constructive feedback on the exam results as well. The students also gave satisfactory opinions on digital examinations as well.
How do Digital Examinations benefit us?
Digital examinations carry a number of advantages with them such as those listed below:
- Time efficiency and accuracy: Teachers can grade exams at a much faster speed with decreased chances of errors which can accommodate them in terms of more time for giving constructive feedback. Moreover, students can also attempt exams at a much faster rate with lesser chances of errors. Even the best assignment writer may stumble across exams due to handwritten speed but may perform well in typing. In a broad sense, time is money right?
- Remote based ease: For students who are not able to attend the institution due to any reason, can attempt remote based exams and earn their degree or certification without much of a hassle. These days internet access is available in majority of the parts around the globe, so you can earn your college degree from continents apart. Therefore, improving educational accessibility.
- Eco-friendly and cheaper alternative: With rising concerns regarding environmental welfare, digital exams provide a paperless platform thereby contributing to eco-friendly and cheaper exams. The cost spent on paper along with the burden involved in handling the set of papers, digital exams benefit us in terms of sustainability.
- More analytics and options for the learners and the instructors including disabled people: Technology based examinations can be incorporated with a number of tactics to test the student and may assist the student in performing better with the provision of multiple types of tests. Auditory, visual tests can be much more engaging and easier than the conventional pencil and paper exams.
- Contributes to professional development: Businesses nowadays are much more tech savvy than previously and therefore, it is only makes sense to teach students in a manner that proves beneficial to them for adjusting to professional life. Students can get hands on experience on softwares instead of opting for internships or vocational courses for professional computer based trainings.
- Secure and safer testing: Online tests and exams can be administered via cloud or local servers and with the integration of plagiarism checkers, work can be graded with heightened accuracy with lesser chances of cheating. The exams can also be saved and encrypted for safety as opposed to paper based exams which have higher chances of disruption for example by a liquid spill or any sort of damage or loss.
- Limitless storage of data: No need to pile up a bunch of exam documents, when you can save multimedia exams as well in a small flash drive or cloud based server. They can be saved and accessed anywhere online and can be turned to hard copy as well, rendering storage rooms free of paper piled up space.
On the whole..
We can conclude by stating that technology has had profound impacts on all sectors including the education sector and can be further utilized to our advantage, securing a sustainable and accessible educational held future for us all. Education can be acquired in a much more handy way than before, and shall pave the way for the development of the world as we know it.