At some point of time,especially during your college courses you are asked to put forth your academic work in front of your department or at various seminar halls or special events etc. in these type of academic get together or seminars two types of discussion are most common and they are: presentations in front of your department (especially doctorate thesis presentation) and normal conference seminars. Both these tasks are equally difficult as they are needed to be compressed in such a way that the longer paper can be brought in front of the audience into a ten-twenty minutes presentation. However, it is a significant task to represent the your academic work, it helps you to discuss and share as well as get judgement on your research works and wrangle with a huge gathering. It helps you to get reviews and allows you to make improvement in your work.
Many institutions demands for a longer research paper and the research fellows are asked to represent it before their batch mates so that they can have a clean review about their paper before they can reproduce it for final proposition.
However, there is always a question that how can a research thesis be converted to a ten-twenty minutes presentation, well here are some tips below, check it out:
Techniques of Delivery:
Practically, there are two process of delivering your presentation:
Reading the notes:this technique is a bit problematic, as the presenter may find that he/she is detailing too much on a certain point than the others, it causes a person to deviate from the path of his/her topic. It is suggested to make a division between the introduction and the body of the thesis as well as the crucial points and the conclusion properly. Time management is the important factor, the only way to do that is by practicing talking, this allows a person to refrain from the unnecessary points and rather concentrate and point out the major points.
Talking with paper: the maximum time required to read out one page takes hardly about three to four minutes, if the presenter’s intention is to read it out loud. (For example, an approximately six page long paper require a twenty minutes presentation).
Introducing Slide/Visual Elements:
It becomes necessary to present some visual elements in your presentation depending upon the nature of the seminar and the field of education.
- The power-point slide elements that you are going to represent should be co-related with the words that you speak in your presentation. An individual can easily manage his/her points with that of his/her visual aids whenever he/she moves on to his/her next slides.
- It is necessary to make sure that the audience are well convinced with the power-point slides. It may happen that the audience may be thinking about the points that are shown before in the slides, which they expect your explanation in co-relation with your topic. Figuring out the important points in your presentation will allow the audience to keep a track of your clarification and allows them to understand it in an easier way.
- The written materials in the slides should have a distinct font size and the colour of the background should not interfere with the colour of the font. Decipherability is the key factor.
- Spelling mistakesare common. It may happen that an individual may overlook the typing mistakes when they amalgamate power-point slides, but the viewers are well aware of the mistakes and can see that. A typing mistake can erode his/her professional appearance.
- You should provide adequate time for your audience to go through your slides. You should not be in a hurry and shuffle your slides quickly. It is the fact that, the slides are known to you but, it may take time for your audience to engulf them and understand its importance.
- You should always keep in mind the fact that whenever you use any jpeg image or file you should have a clear reasoning about the relevance of that particular pic with your topic.
The Sophistication of Conference Papers:
Seminars and meetings are opportunities to communicate with eminent persons and other academic stalwarts and reproduce your work in front of them. It is an overawe task but with confidence and practice it can be a great achievement accompanied with success. Here are some tips on how to represent yourself and the work in front of them:
- It is very important that you should be able to instigate, express and be skilful and dexterous in your subject matter of the topic that you are presenting whenever you are communicating with the organizers’ panel for your Honours thesis presentation.
- It should be seen that there is least delays. You should have your work either in printed format or be ready with your digital source. There should be a check so that the power-point file is not a debauched one or too large and lengthy to be displayed. Technical difficulties may occur due to any reason, but you should keep a check that there is none.
- The most frantic and panic-stricken part of the presentation for the presenter is the question and answer round. Chances are there that you know an answer but due to fear and nervousness you are unable to reproduce it in front of the panel.
- You should not lose hope even if you are aware of the fact that you do not know everything. You are actually in a conference alerts from where people learn new ideas from recognised personalities in the panel.
- It may happen that someone from the panel have asked you a very complicated question or has given some situation to handle, you should be clever enough to recapitulate the questions that the panel is asking, sometimes it is of great help.
So these are some of the key notes or you may say guidelines to convert research paper to a power-point presentation and reproduce it to the panel.