The single most important factor determining the quality of the education a child receives is the quality of his or her educator.
So, what makes an AWESOME educator? Teaching is one of the most complicated jobs today. It demands broad knowledge of subject matter, curriculum, and standards; enthusiasm, a caring attitude, and a love of learning; knowledge of discipline and classroom management techniques; and a desire to make a difference in the lives of young people. With all these qualities required, it’s no wonder that it’s hard to find AWWESOME educators.
I have listed 5 characteristics of awesome educators:
- Awesome educators set high expectations for all students. They expect that all students can and will achieve in their classroom, and they don’t give up on underachievers.
- Awesome educators are prepared and organised. They are in their classrooms early and ready to teach. They deliver lessons in a clear and structured way. Their classrooms are organized in such a way as to minimise distractions.
- Awesome educators engage students and get them to look at issues in a variety of ways. Effective educators use facts as a starting point, not an end point; they ask “why” questions, look at all sides and encourage students to predict what will happen next. They ask questions frequently to make sure students are following along. They try to engage the whole class, and they don’t allow a few students to dominate the class. They keep students motivated with varied, lively approaches.
- Awesome educators form strong relationships with their students and show that they care about them as people. Awesome educators are warm, accessible, enthusiastic and caring. Educators with these qualities are known to stay after school and make themselves available to students and parents who need them. They are involved in school-wide committees and activities, and they demonstrate a commitment to the school.
- Awesome educators are masters of their subject matter. They exhibit expertise in the subjects they are teaching and spend time continuing to gain new knowledge in their field. They present material in an enthusiastic manner and instil a hunger in their students to learn more on their own.
About the article contributor:
Dr Elmi Zulkarnain Osman is an award-winning educator from Singapore, an inspiring motivational speaker, a successful corporate trainer and highly sought-after Malay language coach. He graduated from Trident University International with a PhD in Educational Leadership. Dr Elmi Zulkarnain is also the founder and CEO of Elemantra Consultancy (Singapore).